Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Chunky Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken Pot Pie... the epitome of comfort food. This old time favorite is especially delicious when cooked in an iron skillet (something I am just getting used to using!). This recipe has a little twist on the typical with a dash of cream and some sherry!

 Crispy, golden and delicious!

Filling
4 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1/2 C. Chopped Celery
1/2 C. Chopped Onion
1/2 C. Chopped Carrots
3 C. Chopped Cooked Chicken (Ours was smoked the day before--you can use Rotisserie!)
1/4 C. Flour
3 C. Beef Broth (or Chicken)-- I used what I had
1/2 C. Frozen Peas
1/4 C. Half and Half
Splash or two of Sherry
1 Tbsp. Herbs de Provence ( mixture of thyme, rosemary, savory, and marjoram)
Ground Pepper
Salt

Topping
1.5 C. Bisquick
3/4 C. Milk
1 Egg

Preheat oven to 400. In a cast iron skillet, melt butter. Add the celery, carrots and onions. Cook for about 5 minutes until they soften. Add the chicken and sprinkle with flour. Stir around and cook for about a minute. Pour on the broth and bring to a simmer. Add the peas and stir. As the mixture thickens, add the cream and sherry. Season with the herbs, salt, and pepper. Turn off heat.


Right before you add the bisquick topping

In a mixing bowl, stir bisquick, eggs and milk. Pour over the mixture in the skillet and place in oven. Cook for 30 minutes.


When you add the topping it's ok be messy! I doubled the bisquick cause I got scared...don't-- you will have plenty!
 
My Guilty Pleasure: Eating a bowl of this pie, watching Homeland and cuddling on the couch with my husband.

enjoy,
e

1 comment:

  1. I think this is Josh's heaven. I might have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete